News & Events
6 Tips for Hosting a Memorial Day Gathering to Remember
May is underway and Memorial Day is just around the corner! Whether you’re a current resident or a future neighbor of Traditions of Braselton, if you’re a fan of this big, beautiful country of ours AND you love to throw parties, we’ve got a handful of tips to help you host a Memorial Day Gathering that’s worth remembering. If you’re considering a move to our sprawling 1140-acre master-planned community, just imagine prepping your Memorial Day menu in your gorgeous chef-inspired kitchen or hosting friends and family members in your backyard, overlooking the rolling hills of our neighboring golf course. Now that you’ve got a setting in mind, it’s time to outline all the necessary elements for a patriotic party your guests will reminisce about for years to come!
- Design a Menu – From a build-your-own burger bar to a sprawling Southern barbecue that would make Ashley Wilkes of Gone with the Wind fame envious, combine your creativity and culinary skills in the creation of a crowd-pleasing menu. To inspire you, Food Network has compiled 40 of its favorite Memorial Day Cookout recipes.
- Create a Playlist – While Summer doesn’t officially begin until June 21, Memorial Day typically marks its unofficial start in most people’s minds. Create a playlist that you can play on a loop from your phone via Bluetooth and not worry about it, comprised of summertime classics like Don Henley’s Boys of Summer, Bob Marley’s Jamming, and Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. Spotify has compiled a list of the 100 Greatest Summer Songs – which is a great place to start.
- Organize a Beer Taste-Off – If the majority of your guests are 21 and older, you may want to ask everyone to bring a six-pack of their favorite import or craft beer for a “taste-off”. Have small cups and score cards on hand, as well as a grand prize and a booby prize. It’s a fun way to enhance the event for the adults in attendance with a little friendly competition.
- Don’t Forget the Decorations – Whether you go for a summertime theme or want to create a patriotic atmosphere, if you live in Traditions of Braselton, you are just 25 minutes away from the Party City, Hobby Lobby and Michaels near Mall of Georgia. House Beautiful offers up 20 Memorial Day Decorations to Set the Scene for your Patriotic Barbecue. For summertime-themed party inspo, Modern Glam provides 12 Perfect Summer Party Decoration Ideas.
- Plan Some Fun and Games – From old-school outdoor party games like potato sack races, croquet, flag football, the limbo, and hula hoop contests to more updated gems like giant Jenga, cornhole, yard pong, and foam axe throwing, a little pre-planning makes it easy to keep your guests entertained.
- Pay Tribute to the Troops – Because Memorial Day is a holiday intended to honor fallen soldiers, you may want to plan a tribute to the troops into your event’s festivities. It could involve giving the kids at the party a bucket filled with 100 tiny flags and asking them to decorate your front lawn with them – taking a moment to tell them why. You could set up a kids’ table with pencils, crayons and paper and ask your pint-sized party guests to draw a picture or write a note of thanks to soldiers who are serving today. You could plan to play the National Anthem and other patriotic songs in your playlist or have a moment of silence before everyone sits down to lunch or dinner. Or you could take up a collection for Gold Star families. Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund is one of several reputable charities out there that provides financial assistance and college grants to the children and widows of fallen servicemen and women.
From all of us here at the Traditions of Braselton Discovery Center, we wish you and yours a wonderful summer and a Happy Memorial Day Weekend! If you hope to be in your NEW Traditions home before Labor Day rolls around, we welcome you to drop by the Center at 401 Delaperriere Loop in Jefferson. Our hours are Monday -Saturday 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM and Sunday 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM.